CRISP BUTTERFLIED SARDINES
with chickpea & parsley salad. Serves 4.
Sardines make for a flavourful, rustic and simple meal. They're also extremely good for you! You can leave the backbone in or have your fishmonger remove it.
12 sardines, butterflied by fishmonger
2½ tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
400 g can of chickpeas
150 g feta, crumbled
4 spring onions, green part only, chopped
1 cup roughly chopped flat-leaf parsley
1 lemon, zested and juiced
Sea salt and Black pepper
1. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil and cook the onion until lightly golden. Add garlic and chili, and cook until fragrant. Set aside to cool.
2. Drain and rinse the chickpeas, place in a salad bowl. Add crumbled feta, spring onion, parsley, lemon juice and zest. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Add the cooled onion and garlic mixture and ½ tbsp olive oil. Toss salad to mix well.
4. Season the skin side of the sardines.
5. Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a large non-stick frying pan. Cook sardines over medium-high heat, skin-side down, for 20-30 seconds or until golden.
6. Serve with sardines with salad, lemon wedges and a good quality, or homemade, aïoli.